[CT Birds] Roseatte Spoonbill location

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Sep 17 23:25:47 EDT 2018

I am going to try to fill in some details on the area where we saw the Roseatte Spoonbill today.

All the sightings I am aware of were from Brookside Drive, looking out over the river toward a power plant on the other side of the Housatonic.  There are few areas with a view, the main one being right after Brookside Drive turns the corner (170 Brookside Drive).  This link should give a Google Street View from around that spot, though there is far more undergrowth blocking the view than in this picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2103801,-73.1158014,3a,75y,90.26h,84.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sePPJ69NGrD2Vusmg_vfbrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If we take an aerial view of the area, we were viewing from the left (west) side of the river, across the grassy islands, with the power plant as background.  When the bird was not flying it was in the grass on the island (Carting Island?) and mostly out of view in the tall grass.  One key exception was when it was FIRST sighted and identified when it was partially visible on the ground.  Most of the views were while it was flying around, generally circling a bit until settling again.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stratford,+CT/@41.2109507,-73.1134867,2000m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e80c890f782df9:0xd6c3f5464c1e778b!8m2!3d41.1845415!4d-73.1331651

(That link worked fine on my PC but was useless on my phone.  Find 170 Brookside Drive Stratford and then zoom out, perhaps changing from map to aerial view.)

The roosting area for the egrets was in the woods along the north side of Brookside Drive, between Diane Terrace and E Main St.  I am told this is a big wintering spot for ducks, familiar to many.  The view of the roosting egrets was from Diane Terrace, barely north of Brookside Drive, looking west.  That area is presumably where the bird was first seen and photographed last Saturday.

I hope that helps more than it confuses.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT