[CT Birds] Common Tern Colony at Cockenoe Island, Westport, sad news...

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 27 21:04:35 EDT 2020

 Sean,Thanks for your report on the Common Tern colony at Cockenoe. What disappointing news! Such a shame. Do you think it was a result of high-tide flooding? Or maybe a collapse in prey fish, as last year? Or both?
This coincides with the huge influx of adult Common Terns in the mouth of the Housatonic River in the past week. I estimated 550 at/near Milford Point yesterday. I saw only a few fresh juveniles and one 1st-summer bird. My suspicion was that these flocks were here due to nest failure at area colonies (possibly Falkner Is., Cockenoe Is, and Great Gull Is.).
Best,
Frank MantlikStratford