[CT Daily] 07/01/2012 Gull-billed Terns

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Jul 1 22:26:53 EDT 2012

 From Sean and Brendan Murtha:
07/01/12 - Milford, Milford Point -- 12:30; Tide was high but falling.
While there a GULL-BILLED TERN flew in from the east and joined a
large flock of Common Terns at the end of the sandbar.  We watched it
for a while, staying with the flock as it periodically took flight and
returned.  Nice surprise!

 From Sara Zagorski with Jim Dugan and Charlie Barnard:
07/01/12 - Milford, Milford Point -- 2:50 PM; Gull-billed Tern on a
mudflat in the marsh, best seen from the CACC tower.  3:00 PM; there
are two of them!

 From Robert and Karen Askins:
07/01/12 - Old Lyme, Great Island Wildlife Management Area -- While
canoeing in channels through the salt marsh, we saw two Boat-tailed
Grackles (including a close view of singing male).

 From John Weeks with many:
07/01/12 - Barkhamsted, Peoples State Forest -- 1 heard-only
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 10 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 8  Blackburnian
Warbler.

 From Mark Aronson:
07/01/12 - New Haven, green and above Sterling Memoriall Library --
8.50 PM; at least two maybe three COMMON NIGHTHAWKS.

 From Donna Caporaso:
07/01/12 - Stratford, marshes -- immature juvenile Boat Tailed
Grackles.