[CT Daily] 07/22/2012

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Jul 22 22:59:56 EDT 2012

Note: MA birder Mike Resch reported seeing on Saturday an American
White Pelican about ten miles north of CT just east of the Connecticut
River flying south low over the Mass Pike (I-90).  These birds are
great wanderers, but we might want to keep our eyes out.

 From Frank Mantlik:
07/22/12 - Groton, Avery Point (UConn Campus) -- adult ROYAL TERN
flying close along grassy lawn bluff, over Thames River mouth 12:25,
13 COMMON EIDERS on large rock isle out in river (also later swimming
around).  I had stopped here to scan offshore (unsuccessfully) for
Wilson's Storm-Petrels; a place that has been productive in past
years.
Milford, Milford Point -- Eight species of shorebirds, including 1
WHIMBREL which flew in to sandbar at 3:37; also 2000 Semipalmated
Sandpipers. 1 adult ROSEATE TERN .
Stratford, Access Rd Pond opposite R.E. Michel -- 2 Western Sandpipers
(appeared to be 1st-year birds; very gray) among a handful of
shorebirds, 4:15.
North Stonington, Assekonk Swamp -- With recent appearances of
Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks in MA and NJ, and a report of a Fulvous
Whistling-Duck in NJ, I checked this site (of CT's 3 Fulvous Whistling
Ducks in May 1987).  Access is from rear of soccer field behind Board
of Education/Wheeler Athletic Fields on RT. 2.

 From John Marshall:
07/22/12 - Milford, Milford Point -- The Whimbrel was present Sunday
morning at Milford Point.  Also two Yellow-crowned Night-Herons.

 From Dave Provencher:
07/22/12 - Pleasant Valley Preserve, Lyme -- 1 Cerulean Warbler and 1
Acadian Flycatcher.

 From Paul Carrier with Wayne Meagher:
07/22/12 - Colebrook, Colebrook reservoir -- 1 Solitary Sandpiper.

 From Paul Desjardins:
07/22/12 - South Windsor, Station 43, Newberry Road section -- Least
Bittern.
Hartford(?), Riverside sewage pond -- 2 Solitary Sandpipers, 1
Pectoral Sandpiper.