[CT Daily] 05/09/2012

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed May 9 22:41:09 EDT 2012

 From Patrick Comins:
05/09/12 - Southbury, Bent of the River Audubon Sancutary -- apparent
GOLEDN-WINGED WARBLER near the barn, along the river.  In the spirit
of caution, I can't rule out Brewster's from my view, as I didn't see
face or throat, but bird was white below, singing away and had big
golden  or perhaps white chevrons in the wings.

 From Brian Toal via Sara Zagorski:
05/09/12 - Avon -- 6:15 AM; a Mourning Warbler at Fisher Meadows on
Old Farm Rd. From the parking lot, go right towards the main road
through the park. The bird was singing loudly on the left side about
50 yards from the parking lot.

 From Brian Kleinman:
05/09/12 ­ East Granby Yard -- one singing male CAPE MAY WARBLER.

 From Alex Burdo:
05/09/12 - New Haven, Hopkins School Campus -- singing CAPE MAY
WARBLER.

 From Mark Scott:
05/09/12 - New Haven/Hamden, East Rock Park -- at Farnam Drive
overlook, unseen bird singing spot-on CERULEAN WARBLER, along with
many other species. Many warblers, thrushes, tanagers heard in New
Haven neighborhood as well. Rain did not deter vocalization.

 From Lorraine Gundersen:
05/09/12 - Westbrook, entrance road to Tanger Outlets -- Hooded
Warbler.

 From Jan Collins:
05/09/12 - Suffield, Suffield WMA, Babbs Rd -- Hartford Audubon mid
week walk, Mike Stanley, leader.  1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW  located in
same spot as during last year's walk on this DEEP WMA managed for
grassland bird species.
Suffield, Clay Creek Rd -- subdivision of mcmansions off Route 75
north of Suffield center in a managed subdivision grassland, a dozen
BOBOLINK, mostly males interacting and establishing territory and a
couple of females.

 From Patrice Favreau:
05/09/12 - SouthWindsor, SW Wildlife Sanctuary, Niederwerfer Rd across
from Idlenot Farm -- morning; dozen Warblers including Balckburnian
Warbler.

 From Alex Burdo:
05/09/12 - Fairfield, Sherman Marsh and Fields -- 48 species including
1 SOLITARY SANDPIPER, 1 Swainson's Thrush, 1 WILSON'S WARBLER.
Fairfield, Pine Creek Open Space (just the area behind the ballfields)
-- A quick stop yielded 34 species including 1 RING-NECKED PHEASANT
(calling), 1 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON.

 From Carl Ekroth:
05/09/12 - Ellington, SnipsicmLake road, near the lake -- mid
afternoon; 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER (male).
Abbott Rd ext -- 1 BROWN THRASHER.

And another last(?) word on the Harris's Sparrow

 From Pat Tamborra:
05/06/12 - Lebanon -- My wife and I saw the Harris's Sparrow on
Sunday, May 6 at 5 PM in the usual place.