[CT Daily] 05/11/2012 Tri-colored Heron

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 11 23:55:24 EDT 2012

 From Peter Grose:
05/11/12 - East Hartford, Cabela's -- 12:30 PM; TRI-COLORED HERON at
pond.

 From Lynn James and Dana Campbell:
05/11/12 - East Hartford, Cabela's Pond -- Tri-colored Heron in full
view hunting along pond border at 1:15, present until at least 3:30
PM.  Also Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Pectoral Sandpiper, and
in the fields Eastern Meadowlark.
Ashford, Boston Hollow and Yale Road -- BLACK VULTURE, COMMON
RAVENS, 13 Warblers including BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER AND CERULEAN
WARBLER; also Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
East Hartford, Hockanum Linear Trail -- No Red-headed Woodpecker
found, but GREY-CHEEKED THRUSH (we debated long about it's being a
possible Bicknell's, but decided on Grey-cheeked because we saw no red
at all on its tail or primaries, and because it did not sing to give
us any other indicators.)

 From Paul Cianfaglione:
05/11/12 - East Hartford, Cabela's Pond -- 1 TRICOLORED HERON
continued along with 1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER.

 From Sara Zagorski with Jonathan Trouen-Trend:
05/11/12 - East Hartford, Cabela's Pond -- around 4:30 PM; Tri-colored
Heron tucked well into the weeds on the side closest to the parking
lot, so that when you first pull up you might not see it. When we got
out of the car Jonathan could see the head, and when I moved closer to
the pond, I could see it too. Then it disappeared, coming out again
after a few minutes. We were standing right on the edge of the pond in
order to see it.

 From Dave Tripp with Jay Kaplan and Jamie Meyers:
05/11/12 - Canton backyard -- Two (and then three) singing Cape May
Warblers continue in Norway Spruces.

 From Paul Desjardins:
05/11/12 - Windsor, Northwest Park --  Swainson"s  Thrush, Tennessee
Warbler, Lincoln"s Sparrow and female Orchard Oriole.
East Hartford, Cabelas Pond -- Pectoral Sandpiper.

 From Tom Hook:
05/11/12 - Southbury, Bent of the River -- Yellow-billed cuckoo in the
oaks over the barn.

 From John Oshlick with Sol Satin:
05/11/12 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- 2 Swainson's Thrushes, 1
Tennessee Warbler calling near the archery field.

 From John Oshlick:
05/11/12 - Hamden, Farm Brook Reservoir -- 1 Lincoln's Sparrow.

 From Steve Spector:
05/11/12 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- 11:45 AM; Cuckoo (species?).

 From Carol Ansel:
05/11/12 - Mystic yard -- Black-billed Cuckoo.

 From Anita Shaffer & Roy Zartarian:
05/11/12 - Newington, Cedar Mountain -- 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH,
Blackburnian Warbler.

 From Ernie Harris:
05/11/12 - Bolton Backyard -- 6:30-7:30 AM; CAPE MAY WARBLER.

 From Gina Nichol:
05/11/12 - Branford, Branford Supply Ponds -- 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 1
Orchard Oriole.

 From Louise P Tucker:
05/11/12 - East Hampton?, Hurd State Park -- To the left of the small
parking area above the trail leading down to the Connecticut river are
2 old dirt roads.  On the lower road (closest to the river) is a
yellow gate. Approximately 200-300 feet from the gate is a Hooded
Warbler singing on territory, which is on both sides of the road. He
circles this territory, singing.  As you face the river from the
parking lot, the road is to your right.   Also, This is the road
inside the park, not the one next to Rt 151.

 From Annette Cunniffe with Meredith Sampson:
05/11/12 - Stamford, Rosa Hartman Park -- 2 Blackburnian Warblers,
Philadelphia Vireo, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Swainson's Thrush.

 From Roy Harvey and Renee Baade:
05/11/12 - Stamford/Old Greenwich, Laddins Rock Sanctuary & Rosa
Hartman Park -- BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, Brown Thrasher, Blackburnian
Warbler, many Swainson's Thrushes.
Fairfield, Birdcraft Sanctuary -- more Swainson's Thrushes.
Bridgeport, Ninety Acres Park -- Tennessee Warbler, still more
Swainson's Thrushes.