[CT Daily] 05/18/2012 Ruff

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 18 22:57:15 EDT 2012

 From Gina Nichol and Sunrise Birding Walk:
05/18/12 - Branford, Branford Supply Ponds -- Adult MISSISSIPPI KITE,
2 BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO (heard), BLACK VULTURE.  As we gathered for the
bird walk in the parking lot of Supply Ponds, an adult Mississippi
Kite flew over the pond on the north side of the causeway moving from
northeast to southwest.  It circled around and stayed long enough for
good views and a photo by Roz Meyer.  Tail black and fan shaped, white
secondaries, pale, grayish head.  It continued moving southwest and
out of sight.

 From Gary and Carol Lemmon:
05/18/12 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- 5:30 PM; Good looks of
the Ruff in the boulder pond at Meigs Point from the foot path
on the North side of the pond.

 From Carolyn Cimino:
05/18/12 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- 3 PM; RUFF in the
boulder pond, plus great looks at the potential hybrid Tri-colored
Heron.

 From Fran and Tom Holloway:
05/18/12 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- TRICOLORED HERON and
three LITTLE BLUE HERONS in the Tidal Pool adjacent to the Nature
Center parking lot. RUFF seen in Boulder Pond (Meigs Point) at 10:00
AM.  On the Willard's Island Trail, one BROWN THRASHER and one
juvenile male ORCHARD ORIOLE. Not many warblers, but Brad Garber
reported a male WILSON'S WARBLER on the same trail, about 9:00.

 From David Zomick:
05/18/12 - Bristol -- Wilson's Warbler in bushes along edge of parking
lot at St Paul's HS (brushy edge between end of parking lot & athletic
field).

 From Paul Cianfaglione:
05/18/12 - Bloomfield, Penwood State Park -- 1 PURPLE FINCH, 1
SWAINSON'S THRUSH.

 From John Oshlick:
05/18/12 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- Lincoln's Sparrow and a
Swainson's Thrush. My best bird was a Gray-cheeked Thrush. I watched
it up close for 10 minutes. There was no hint of rufous on it so it
most likely was not a Bicknell's.  Also, Richard Payne had a
Yellow-billed Cuckcoo.

 From Mark Scott, with Dori Sosensky and Richard Payne:
05/18/12 - Hamden/New Haven, East Rock Park -- WILSON'S WARBLER,
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER.

 From Patrick Comins with Ken Elkins, Tom Baptist, Steven Ferrari, Ben
Oko and Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe:
05/18/12 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- Gray-cheeked type Thrush;
would bet on Gray-cheeked Thrush.  Photographed.  In thrush spot at
junction of trails near bridge.  I'll call this spot the thrush hole
at ERP.

 From Annette Cunniffe with Meredith Sampson:
05/18/12 - Old Greenwich, Laddin's Rock Sanctuary -- OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER, 1 Blackburnian Warbler, 3-4 Swainson's Thrush,
Gray-cheeked Thrush.

 From Frank Gallo:
05/18/12 - Milford, Milford Point -- 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, female
Peregrine Falcon.

 From Andy Scholten:
05/18/12 - Chester, Cocakponset State Forest, Hubbard and Cedar Lake
Roads -- Hooded Warbler.
Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- TRICOLORED HERON, RUFF.

 From Jayne Neville:
05/18/12 - Southington, Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary -- I have had
the pleasure of listening to a Black-billed Cuckoo singing by the
sanctuary pond for the last two days.

 From UConn saltmarsh bird research team (via Chris Elphick):
05/17/12 - Stonington, Barn Island WMA -- (and other recent dates and
sites); Nelson's Sparrows (some showing signs of hybridization).

 from John and Anders Ogren:
05/17/12 - Madison, Hammonasett State Park -- RUFF at Meig's Point
Pond at about 2:30 PM.
05/16/12 - Old Saybrook, Plum Bank Marsh -- 5 LITTLE BLUE HERON, 5-6
SALT MARSH SPARROWS.