[CT Daily] 05/22/2012

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed May 23 08:32:29 EDT 2012

 From Tina Green:
05/22/12 - Milford, Milford Point -- just after high tide, 4 Red
Knots, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper.

 From Charlotte Matthews:
05/22/12 - Stratford, Housatonic Avenue yard -- At after 8 PM in our
back yard we had a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, picking up worms, etc.
from the lawn.  We are right on the Housatonic River here.  I have
seen them in the Wheeler Marsh, but this was really up close and
personal........not sure whether it will come again! .....we certainly
hope so!

 From Dan Cimbaro:
05/22/12 - Colchester, Airline Trail off of Old Hartford Rd --
Black-Billed Cuckoo about 1/2 mile down the trail near the small
clearing on the left with a large oak.

 From Angela Dimmitt:
05/21/12 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- Monday, I may possibly
have  seen a glimpse of the Ruff.  First there was a plump bird with a
two-tone  bill (black with red at the base) and a speckled head
hunkered down in a small pond on the right just before the East
Pavillion - not a greater yellow-legs, I think it was a willet.
However, as I drove  down the pond on the right of the Nature Center
parking lot as you enter, a  yellowlegs-sized bird flew up from the
grasses and flew towards the open beach  in the distance on the
moraine trail.  Did not see its bill, but did see  two conspiculous
white patches on its tail.  Time: about noon, light was  poor, almost
a drizzle, and I did not relocate the bird from the beach  side. Also,
a LITTLE  BLUE HERON in boulder pond.