[CT Daily] 09/03/2013 Golden-winged Warbler

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Sep 3 22:49:17 EDT 2013

Note: Bluff Point (Groton) veteran Dave Provencher thinks that site
might be decent in the morning after checking tonight's weather.
Certainly the radar is showing LOTS of birds at the moment (10:45 PM
Tuesday).

 From Frank Mantlik with Tom Murray:
09/03/13 - Orange, Rt 114 (Racebrook Rd), Racebrook Tract of Water
Company -- adult male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER (at 5:15 PM) just off
the little boardwalk near parking lot.  After the wet weather cleared
out, Tom Murray called to alert me that he found lots of birds here. I
joined him, and he was the first to spot the GOLDEN-WINGED. Chris
Loscalzo has birded this site for 20 years, and has never seen a pure
Golden-winged here, though he's had hybrid Blue-winged X
Golden-winged. It was the first Golden-winged I've seen in CT in 11
years (and the first ever during migration), and it was a lifer for
Tom.

 From Bill Banks:
09/03/13 - New Haven, Lighthouse Point Park -- Bobolinks moving early
in the morning.

 From Paul Desjardins:
09/03/13 - Simsbury, Great Pond -- afternoon; Solitary Sandpiper and
Pectoral Sandpiper.

 From Frank Mantlik:
09/03/13 - Stratford, Pond near streetlight at intersection of Rt 113
and Access Rd -- 65 Great Egrets, 74 Snowy Egrets, 2 Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons, 5 species shorebirds, 5 Boat-tailed Grackles.  Large
feeding congregation in morning fog and mist.
By the way, still no "grass"-pipers found on Sikorsky Airport runways,
though I've been looking almost daily.  We need a good thunderstorm to
create some rainpools.