[CT Daily] 09/13/2013

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Sep 13 21:02:41 EDT 2013

 From Paul Fusco:
09/13/13 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- Upland sandpiper in
grass lot next to the Nature Center at 6 PM.

 From Keith and Jen Mueller:
09/13/13 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- The Upland Sandpiper was
still there at 6:45 pm this evening just before the Park closed. Also
the Golden Plover continued just a few yards away.  As we were
leaving...Jen and I saw and watched a single Nighthawk fly over the
main exit road just past the circle and then hunting over the marsh
until it was too dark to see anymore!

 From Paul Cianfaglione:
09/13/13 - Rocky Hill, Rocky Hill Meadows -- 1 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER in
first field on left.

 From John Oshlick:
09/13/13 - West Haven, Sandy Point -- 1 Baird's Sandpiper far out on
the main bar.  18 Blue-winged Teal!

 From Bill Batsford:
09/13/13 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- American Golden Plover
at Meig's point parking field.  Also Pectoral Sandpiper in nearby
pond.

 From Ned Hurle:
09/13/13 - Madison, Hammonasset State Park -- In addition to the
American Golden Plover at Meigs Parking Lot, there was an American
Bittern in the marsh north of the parking lot at 11:00 AM.

 From Patrick Comins:
09/13/13 - Southbury, Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary -- The light
was very bad, but I thought I heard a Blue Grosbeak chip note and got
a brief backlit view of the bird in the butterfly garden from the
birding balcony.  The profile and size were a good fit in comparison
with some nearby Indigo Buntings.   Can't say 100%, but I'm thinking
it was a Blue Grosbeak, immature or female.  On a separate note, it's
kind of amazing that the Hooded Warblers are still singing here
occasionally.  I don't think I recall that happening in September
before.  They were extremely late in arriving this year.