ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Re: Extra-limital white-eye vireo, Southwick, MA

CE
Chris Elphick
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 1:14 PM

As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos varies a lot across the state.  In New London and eastern Middlesex counties they are widespread and not hard to find.  Elsewhere, however, they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties.  In Hartford county, there was only one block with any record at all.
In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is pushing north, this is not apparent in the state.  In fact - like many species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut.

Chris

Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick@sbcglobal.net

[...]
PP
Paul Plotnick
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 2:12 PM

I had one several years ago in the woods at Cove Island Park in Stamford.
Seen and heard. None since.

Paul Plotnick
Stamford

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds <
ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

[...]

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
birders together statewide. Please support COA:
https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
list rules and subscription information visit:
https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/

I had one several years ago in the woods at Cove Island Park in Stamford. Seen and heard. None since. Paul Plotnick Stamford On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds < ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos > varies a lot across the state. In New London and eastern Middlesex > counties they are widespread and not hard to find. Elsewhere, however, > they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across > the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and > during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records > in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties. In Hartford county, there > was only one block with any record at all. > In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is > pushing north, this is not apparent in the state. In fact - like many > species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a > species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the > range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut. > > Chris > > Chris Elphick @ssts > Storrs, CT > elphick@sbcglobal.net > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing > birders together statewide. Please support COA: > https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For > list rules and subscription information visit: > https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
AD
Angela Dimmitt
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 2:59 PM

They were nesting, I believe, several years ago in New Milford along the West Aspetuck River - I remember two active pairs, over three or four years, ie reliable to find - until a developer cleared the area for 30 houses (which never got built - the area is becoming overgrown but the birds never returned).  Indeed, the 1994 Atlas shows them confirmed nesting in the general area.
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford

[...]

They were nesting, I believe, several years ago in New Milford along the West Aspetuck River - I remember two active pairs, over three or four years, ie reliable to find - until a developer cleared the area for 30 houses (which never got built - the area is becoming overgrown but the birds never returned).  Indeed, the 1994 Atlas shows them confirmed nesting in the general area. Angela Dimmitt New Milford -----Original Message----- From: Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> To: Chris Elphick <elphick@sbcglobal.net> Cc: CTbirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Sent: Tue, Jun 14, 2022 10:12 am Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Extra-limital white-eye vireo, Southwick, MA I had one several years ago in the woods at Cove Island Park in Stamford. Seen and heard. None since. Paul Plotnick Stamford On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds < ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos > varies a lot across the state.  In New London and eastern Middlesex > counties they are widespread and not hard to find.  Elsewhere, however, > they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across > the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and > during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records > in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties.  In Hartford county, there > was only one block with any record at all. > In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is > pushing north, this is not apparent in the state.  In fact - like many > species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a > species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the > range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut. > > Chris > > Chris Elphick @ssts > Storrs, CT > elphick@sbcglobal.net >
AF
Adam Fasciolo
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 3:34 PM

We encountered a pair of White-eyed Vireo in Windham county earlier this month, which is in the northern part of Connecticut.  I’m not sure if they were returning to that location or if it was their first foray that far north.

Adam Fasciolo
Norwalk

[...]

We encountered a pair of White-eyed Vireo in Windham county earlier this month, which is in the northern part of Connecticut. I’m not sure if they were returning to that location or if it was their first foray that far north. Adam Fasciolo Norwalk >> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds < >> ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: >> >> As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos >> varies a lot across the state. In New London and eastern Middlesex >> counties they are widespread and not hard to find. Elsewhere, however, >> they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across >> the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and >> during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records >> in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties. In Hartford county, there >> was only one block with any record at all. >> In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is >> pushing north, this is not apparent in the state. In fact - like many >> species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a >> species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the >> range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut. >> >> Chris >> >> Chris Elphick @ssts >> Storrs, CT >> elphick@sbcglobal.net >> > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
JS
Jim Stanton
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 3:47 PM

Interesting contrast between different areas of the state…It is very common to see and hear White-eyed Vireos at Bluff Point State Park in Groton, spring through fall…often right from the parking lot.

Jim Stanton
Gales Ferry

On Jun 14, 2022, at 10:46 AM, Paul Plotnick via CTBirds ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org wrote:

[...]

Interesting contrast between different areas of the state…It is very common to see and hear White-eyed Vireos at Bluff Point State Park in Groton, spring through fall…often right from the parking lot. Jim Stanton Gales Ferry > On Jun 14, 2022, at 10:46 AM, Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > > I had one several years ago in the woods at Cove Island Park in Stamford. > Seen and heard. None since. > > Paul Plotnick > Stamford > >> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds < >> ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: >> >> As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos >> varies a lot across the state. In New London and eastern Middlesex >> counties they are widespread and not hard to find. Elsewhere, however, >> they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across >> the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and >> during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records >> in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties. In Hartford county, there >> was only one block with any record at all. >> In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is >> pushing north, this is not apparent in the state. In fact - like many >> species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a >> species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the >> range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut. >> >> Chris >> >> Chris Elphick @ssts >> Storrs, CT >> elphick@sbcglobal.net >> >> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing >> birders together statewide. Please support COA: >> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ >> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For >> list rules and subscription information visit: >> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
PA
Patrick and Christine Tamborra
Tue, Jun 14, 2022 4:03 PM

I have had White-eyed Vireo at Quinabaug Fish Hatchery in Windham for over 4 years.
Pat Tamborra, Salem
Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/AAb9ysg

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fjoin-us%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Ln1miFLMskg5dkkTsazVQfMuQJfMZdsmIC72kIYuV1M%3D&reserved=0
CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fbirds-birding%2Fct-birds-email-list%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=7ouD7fuqWyTy%2BYyvlCM10tMIUwgOCS5p8%2F6VLvo9jKU%3D&reserved=0

I have had White-eyed Vireo at Quinabaug Fish Hatchery in Windham for over 4 years. Pat Tamborra, Salem Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg> ________________________________ From: Adam Fasciolo via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 11:34:49 AM To: elphick@sbcglobal.net <elphick@sbcglobal.net> Cc: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org>; Jo <jo_fasciolo@msn.com> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: White-eye vireo We encountered a pair of White-eyed Vireo in Windham county earlier this month, which is in the northern part of Connecticut. I’m not sure if they were returning to that location or if it was their first foray that far north. Adam Fasciolo Norwalk >> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:15 AM Chris Elphick via CTBirds < >> ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: >> >> As earlier emails have indicated, the occurrence of white-eyed vireos >> varies a lot across the state. In New London and eastern Middlesex >> counties they are widespread and not hard to find. Elsewhere, however, >> they have only a scattered occurrence and they are especially rare across >> the northern tier of the state. I rarely see them in the Storrs area, and >> during the current atlas project there were no confirmed breeding records >> in Litchfield, Hartford, or Tolland counties. In Hartford county, there >> was only one block with any record at all. >> In answer to Chuck's question about whether this is a species that is >> pushing north, this is not apparent in the state. In fact - like many >> species associated with early successional habitat, white-eyed vireo is a >> species that appears to have undergone a substantial decline - with the >> range contracting into the southeastern corner of Connecticut. >> >> Chris >> >> Chris Elphick @ssts >> Storrs, CT >> elphick@sbcglobal.net >> > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fjoin-us%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=Ln1miFLMskg5dkkTsazVQfMuQJfMZdsmIC72kIYuV1M%3D&amp;reserved=0 > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fbirds-birding%2Fct-birds-email-list%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=7ouD7fuqWyTy%2BYyvlCM10tMIUwgOCS5p8%2F6VLvo9jKU%3D&amp;reserved=0 CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fjoin-us%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=Ln1miFLMskg5dkkTsazVQfMuQJfMZdsmIC72kIYuV1M%3D&amp;reserved=0 CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctbirding.org%2Fbirds-birding%2Fct-birds-email-list%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca08d62349a8f42bf411a08da4e1b7ee7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637908177270325164%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=7ouD7fuqWyTy%2BYyvlCM10tMIUwgOCS5p8%2F6VLvo9jKU%3D&amp;reserved=0