ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Re: Canary

JH
julian hough
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 3:48 PM

Sean,
With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of  a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie.
Regards,
Julian HoughNew Haven

Sean, With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of  a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie. Regards, Julian HoughNew Haven
CC
Christina Cole
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 7:08 PM

I’ve strangely started an aviary of rescue bird that were released pets (or funeral, graduations, weddings, etc.) that shouldn’t be left in the CT cold for winter. lol If it is such a bird, if anyone is able to catch it, I’m happy to take care of it too and look for the owners in the process! I’m sure the doves and chickens would welcome the company! :)

Christina Cole

On Sep 17, 2021, at 11:49 AM, julian hough jrhough1@snet.net wrote:

Sean,
With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of  a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie.
Regards,
Julian HoughNew Haven

I’ve strangely started an aviary of rescue bird that were released pets (or funeral, graduations, weddings, etc.) that shouldn’t be left in the CT cold for winter. lol If it is such a bird, if anyone is able to catch it, I’m happy to take care of it too and look for the owners in the process! I’m sure the doves and chickens would welcome the company! :) Christina Cole > On Sep 17, 2021, at 11:49 AM, julian hough <jrhough1@snet.net> wrote: > > Sean, > With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie. > Regards, > Julian HoughNew Haven > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
NP
Nichols Photography
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 7:26 PM

This bird is kinda skittish. I just saw for a few moments then it flew out of sight when more cars drove in to the lot. It is singing, but when it’s in the trees, hard to pick out!

Monica Nichols
Madison

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2021, at 3:08 PM, Christina Cole gooutsidect@gmail.com wrote:

I’ve strangely started an aviary of rescue bird that were released pets (or funeral, graduations, weddings, etc.) that shouldn’t be left in the CT cold for winter. lol If it is such a bird, if anyone is able to catch it, I’m happy to take care of it too and look for the owners in the process! I’m sure the doves and chickens would welcome the company! :)

Christina Cole

On Sep 17, 2021, at 11:49 AM, julian hough jrhough1@snet.net wrote:

Sean,
With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of  a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie.
Regards,
Julian HoughNew Haven

This bird is kinda skittish. I just saw for a few moments then it flew out of sight when more cars drove in to the lot. It is singing, but when it’s in the trees, hard to pick out! Monica Nichols Madison Sent from my iPhone > On Sep 17, 2021, at 3:08 PM, Christina Cole <gooutsidect@gmail.com> wrote: > > I’ve strangely started an aviary of rescue bird that were released pets (or funeral, graduations, weddings, etc.) that shouldn’t be left in the CT cold for winter. lol If it is such a bird, if anyone is able to catch it, I’m happy to take care of it too and look for the owners in the process! I’m sure the doves and chickens would welcome the company! :) > > Christina Cole > >> On Sep 17, 2021, at 11:49 AM, julian hough <jrhough1@snet.net> wrote: >> >> Sean, >> With no proven record of regular genuine vagrancy of a sedentary species, and one that is kept widely in captivity, I wouldn't consider thinking of such a bird as wild given a lack of positive evidence to weigh this over an escaped bird. I would treat it like seeing a Budgie. >> Regards, >> Julian HoughNew Haven >> >> CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ >> CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
BR
bill rankin
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 8:10 PM

Two American Golden-Plovers currently on the sandflat at the end of the main bar of Sandy Point, low tide. Confirmed with clear views of buff axillaries.

Lovely birds!

Bill Rankin
New Haven