ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Cockonoe Tern Colony

CW
C Wood
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 12:38 PM

There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern colony on Cockonoe Island in Westport.  I visited the area several times between 2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a large and healthy colony.  For anyone interested, I have an album of those photos here:  https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E

This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and humans disrupting nesting activity.  Unfortunately, it is unlikely that terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, at least along the western Connecticut coast.

Chris Wood

Woodbury, CT
203 558-0654

There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern colony on Cockonoe Island in Westport. I visited the area several times between 2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a large and healthy colony. For anyone interested, I have an album of those photos here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E> This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and humans disrupting nesting activity. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, at least along the western Connecticut coast. Chris Wood Woodbury, CT 203 558-0654
BB
Bianca Beland
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 5:11 PM

Hi All,

I’ve mentioned the loss of island habitat situation to folks at work (DEEP
Land and Water Resources Division). I had thoughts that perhaps dredging
projects in the area (with suitable sediment chemistry and size) could
supplement the areas losing material to rising tides and erosion. There
may be funding to conduct such restoration work on the island. However
the project would need a managing authority. Please contact me at
bianca.beland@ct.gov if this is something you have the capacity and
interest to manage as a project through a non profit like Audubon or
municipal type position.

Thanks to Chris Wood and others for bringing to light the history and
current status of the colony at Cockonoe!

Bianca

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM C Wood via CTBirds <
ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern colony
on Cockonoe Island in Westport.  I visited the area several times between
2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a large
and healthy colony.  For anyone interested, I have an album of those photos
here:  https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E <
https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E>

This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and
humans disrupting nesting activity.  Unfortunately, it is unlikely that
terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, at least
along the western Connecticut coast.

Chris Wood

Woodbury, CT
203 558-0654

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
birders together statewide. Please support COA:
https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
list rules and subscription information visit:
https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/

Hi All, I’ve mentioned the loss of island habitat situation to folks at work (DEEP Land and Water Resources Division). I had thoughts that perhaps dredging projects in the area (with suitable sediment chemistry and size) could supplement the areas losing material to rising tides and erosion. There *may* be funding to conduct such restoration work on the island. However the project would need a managing authority. Please contact me at bianca.beland@ct.gov if this is something you have the capacity and interest to manage as a project through a non profit like Audubon or municipal type position. Thanks to Chris Wood and others for bringing to light the history and current status of the colony at Cockonoe! Bianca On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM C Wood via CTBirds < ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern colony > on Cockonoe Island in Westport. I visited the area several times between > 2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a large > and healthy colony. For anyone interested, I have an album of those photos > here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E < > https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E> > > This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and > humans disrupting nesting activity. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that > terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, at least > along the western Connecticut coast. > > > > Chris Wood > > Woodbury, CT > 203 558-0654 > > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing > birders together statewide. Please support COA: > https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For > list rules and subscription information visit: > https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ >
gmc2@comcast.net
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 7:31 PM

Thank to both Chris and Bianca for their posts. Growing up on Saugatuck Shores from 1954 till the early 70’s, I remember going out to Cockonoe Island via a small 8 foot pram and also sailing out there doing overnights too. I really don’t remember there ever being a Tern colony there but sure do remember that there was a very active colony out beyond Pecks Light on Goose Island.

Did the colony on Goose Island move over to Cockonoe Island at some point in these later years?

Glen Cummings Hamden CT

may be funding to conduct such restoration work on the island. However the project would need a managing authority. Please contact me at  mailto:bianca.beland@ct.gov bianca.beland@ct.gov if this is something you have the capacity and interest to manage as a project through a non profit like Audubon or municipal type position.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM C Wood via CTBirds <  mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

[...]

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA:  https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/

Thank to both Chris and Bianca for their posts. Growing up on Saugatuck Shores from 1954 till the early 70’s, I remember going out to Cockonoe Island via a small 8 foot pram and also sailing out there doing overnights too. I really don’t remember there ever being a Tern colony there but sure do remember that there was a very active colony out beyond Pecks Light on Goose Island. Did the colony on Goose Island move over to Cockonoe Island at some point in these later years? Glen Cummings Hamden CT -----Original Message----- From: Bianca Beland via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2022 1:12 PM To: C Wood <cwood022@gmail.com> Cc: CT Bird Report <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Cockonoe Tern Colony Hi All, I’ve mentioned the loss of island habitat situation to folks at work (DEEP Land and Water Resources Division). I had thoughts that perhaps dredging projects in the area (with suitable sediment chemistry and size) could supplement the areas losing material to rising tides and erosion. There *may* be funding to conduct such restoration work on the island. However the project would need a managing authority. Please contact me at <mailto:bianca.beland@ct.gov> bianca.beland@ct.gov if this is something you have the capacity and interest to manage as a project through a non profit like Audubon or municipal type position. Thanks to Chris Wood and others for bringing to light the history and current status of the colony at Cockonoe! Bianca On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM C Wood via CTBirds < <mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern > colony on Cockonoe Island in Westport. I visited the area several > times between > 2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a > large and healthy colony. For anyone interested, I have an album of > those photos > here: <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E> https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E < > <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E> https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E> > > This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and > humans disrupting nesting activity. Unfortunately, it is unlikely > that terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, > at least along the western Connecticut coast. > > > > Chris Wood > > Woodbury, CT > 203 558-0654 > > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - > Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: > <https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For > list rules and subscription information visit: > <https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: <https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/> https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: <https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/> https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/