ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Re: bluebird disease

AH
AMY HOPKINS
Fri, Jul 1, 2022 8:32 AM

Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it.
Amy HopkinsGuilford

Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events?
Fran and Tom Holloway

Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it. Amy HopkinsGuilford >Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events? >Fran and Tom Holloway
PF
Paul Fusco
Fri, Jul 1, 2022 12:15 PM

Pesticides? Herbicides?

Paul Fusco
Oxford

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2022, at 4:32 AM, AMY HOPKINS via CTBirds ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org wrote:

Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it.
Amy HopkinsGuilford

Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events?
Fran and Tom Holloway

Pesticides? Herbicides? Paul Fusco Oxford Sent from my iPhone > On Jul 1, 2022, at 4:32 AM, AMY HOPKINS via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > > Is it possible this was avian flu? We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it. > Amy HopkinsGuilford > >> Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease. Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead. And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box. Anybody reporting similar events? >> Fran and Tom Holloway > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
jaybrd49@aol.com
Fri, Jul 1, 2022 7:05 PM

We have had some pretty clear indications that spraying one's lawn may be the cause of adult bluebird mortality, leaving their young orphans in the birdbox.  It seemed very suspicious that both adult bluebirds were found dead on the lawn the same day it was sprayed.  This has been reported on several occasions in the area over the past few years.
Jay KaplanCanton.

Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it.
Amy HopkinsGuilford

Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events?
Fran and Tom Holloway

We have had some pretty clear indications that spraying one's lawn may be the cause of adult bluebird mortality, leaving their young orphans in the birdbox.  It seemed very suspicious that both adult bluebirds were found dead on the lawn the same day it was sprayed.  This has been reported on several occasions in the area over the past few years. Jay KaplanCanton. -----Original Message----- From: Paul Fusco via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org Sent: Fri, Jul 1, 2022 8:15 am Subject: [CT Birds] Re: bluebird disease Pesticides? Herbicides? Paul Fusco Oxford Sent from my iPhone > On Jul 1, 2022, at 4:32 AM, AMY HOPKINS via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > > Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it. > Amy HopkinsGuilford > >> Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events? >> Fran and Tom Holloway > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
ftholloway@aol.com
Fri, Jul 1, 2022 7:09 PM

Thanks for your comments.  We specifically avoid all pesticide treatments on our lawn and gardens.

Thanks for your comments.  We specifically avoid all pesticide treatments on our lawn and gardens. Tom Holloway -----Original Message----- From: Jay Kaplan via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Sent: Fri, Jul 1, 2022 3:05 pm Subject: [CT Birds] Re: bluebird disease We have had some pretty clear indications that spraying one's lawn may be the cause of adult bluebird mortality, leaving their young orphans in the birdbox.  It seemed very suspicious that both adult bluebirds were found dead on the lawn the same day it was sprayed.  This has been reported on several occasions in the area over the past few years. Jay KaplanCanton. -----Original Message----- From: Paul Fusco via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org Sent: Fri, Jul 1, 2022 8:15 am Subject: [CT Birds] Re: bluebird disease Pesticides? Herbicides? Paul Fusco Oxford Sent from my iPhone > On Jul 1, 2022, at 4:32 AM, AMY HOPKINS via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: > > Is it possible this was avian flu?  We're not testing songbirds in CT, so we don't know how many have it. > Amy HopkinsGuilford > >> Another topic, our recent bluebird nestlings have apparently died of disease.  Three "fell" out of the box alive, but two were subsequently found dead.  And there were 3 dead nestlings in the box.  Anybody reporting similar events? >> Fran and Tom Holloway > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/