ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Re: Red Knots and Horsehoe crabs

GP
goldin-perschbacher@cox.net
Sun, Jun 13, 2021 6:23 PM

I too have observed a man taking a horseshoe crab (from Hammo).  I thought
to confront him, but it was only one crab, so I did not. NY bans the
harvesting of these crabs (although there is a significant underground
market, looking at you big Pharma). In Connecticut, fishermen are legally
allowed to hand harvest horseshoe crabs during certain times of the year. In
2007, fisherman were allowed to collect horseshoe crabs from May 22 through
July 7 with the exception of weekends. The DEEP commissioner regulates
horseshoe crab harvesting under state law and regulation (CGS § 26-159a and
Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-159a-17). The regulation (1) generally prohibits a
person from taking, possessing, or landing horseshoe crabs without a current
license and endorsement and (2) establishes the horseshoe crab fishing
season and other restrictions. It also prohibits hand-harvesting horseshoe
crabs in certain designated areas of Westbrook, West Haven, and Milford. By
law, a violation of the regulation is an infraction.

J. Philip Perschbacher

Message: 1

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:05:16 -0400

From: Rob Ballinger <rayn4est@gmail.com mailto:rayn4est@gmail.com >

Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Decline in RED KNOT Population

To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org
mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org >

mailto:CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com

Speaking of changing our ways, has anyone had experience or suggest a path
forward for getting horseshoe crab harvesting banned in their town?  We
witnessed a man taking MANY horseshoe crabs from our town (Clinton) beach
the other day and feel that there is a more responsible way to get
commercial fishing bait.

I too have observed a man taking a horseshoe crab (from Hammo). I thought to confront him, but it was only one crab, so I did not. NY bans the harvesting of these crabs (although there is a significant underground market, looking at you big Pharma). In Connecticut, fishermen are legally allowed to hand harvest horseshoe crabs during certain times of the year. In 2007, fisherman were allowed to collect horseshoe crabs from May 22 through July 7 with the exception of weekends. The DEEP commissioner regulates horseshoe crab harvesting under state law and regulation (CGS § 26-159a and Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-159a-17). The regulation (1) generally prohibits a person from taking, possessing, or landing horseshoe crabs without a current license and endorsement and (2) establishes the horseshoe crab fishing season and other restrictions. It also prohibits hand-harvesting horseshoe crabs in certain designated areas of Westbrook, West Haven, and Milford. By law, a violation of the regulation is an infraction. J. Philip Perschbacher Message: 1 Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:05:16 -0400 From: Rob Ballinger <rayn4est@gmail.com <mailto:rayn4est@gmail.com> > Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Decline in RED KNOT Population To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> > Message-ID: <CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com <mailto:CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Speaking of changing our ways, has anyone had experience or suggest a path forward for getting horseshoe crab harvesting banned in their town? We witnessed a man taking MANY horseshoe crabs from our town (Clinton) beach the other day and feel that there is a more responsible way to get commercial fishing bait.
PP
Piping Plover
Wed, Jun 16, 2021 2:53 PM

Here is a link to an hours-old article about DEEP plans to propose new regs
re: horseshoe crab harvest.

I look forward to learning more but am disappointed to understand that it
will not propose a complete ban.

https://www.middletownpress.com/shoreline/article/Connecticut-to-propose-new-limits-on-harvesting-16250121.php

Sincerely,

Andrea Kerin

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:05:16 -0400

From: Rob Ballinger <rayn4est@gmail.com mailto:rayn4est@gmail.com >

To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org
mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org >

<mailto:CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com

Speaking of changing our ways, has anyone had experience or suggest a path
forward for getting horseshoe crab harvesting banned in their town?  We
witnessed a man taking MANY horseshoe crabs from our town (Clinton) beach
the other day and feel that there is a more responsible way to get
commercial fishing bait.

CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing
birders together statewide. Please support COA:
https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/
CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For
list rules and subscription information visit:
https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/

Here is a link to an hours-old article about DEEP plans to propose new regs re: horseshoe crab harvest. I look forward to learning more but am disappointed to understand that it will not propose a complete ban. https://www.middletownpress.com/shoreline/article/Connecticut-to-propose-new-limits-on-harvesting-16250121.php Sincerely, Andrea Kerin On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 2:26 PM <goldin-perschbacher@cox.net> wrote: > I too have observed a man taking a horseshoe crab (from Hammo). I thought > to confront him, but it was only one crab, so I did not. NY bans the > harvesting of these crabs (although there is a significant underground > market, looking at you big Pharma). In Connecticut, fishermen are legally > allowed to hand harvest horseshoe crabs during certain times of the year. > In > 2007, fisherman were allowed to collect horseshoe crabs from May 22 through > July 7 with the exception of weekends. The DEEP commissioner regulates > horseshoe crab harvesting under state law and regulation (CGS § 26-159a and > Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-159a-17). The regulation (1) generally prohibits > a > person from taking, possessing, or landing horseshoe crabs without a > current > license and endorsement and (2) establishes the horseshoe crab fishing > season and other restrictions. It also prohibits hand-harvesting horseshoe > crabs in certain designated areas of Westbrook, West Haven, and Milford. By > law, a violation of the regulation is an infraction. > > J. Philip Perschbacher > > > > > > Message: 1 > > Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:05:16 -0400 > > From: Rob Ballinger <rayn4est@gmail.com <mailto:rayn4est@gmail.com> > > > Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Decline in RED KNOT Population > > To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org > <mailto:ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> > > > Message-ID: > > <CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com > <mailto:CA+4yMGaMantHxhzi3=1uaYVfqra8HfXypLWyXLp90nAL9hddcA@mail.gmail.com > > > > > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" > > > > Speaking of changing our ways, has anyone had experience or suggest a path > forward for getting horseshoe crab harvesting banned in their town? We > witnessed a man taking MANY horseshoe crabs from our town (Clinton) beach > the other day and feel that there is a more responsible way to get > commercial fishing bait. > > > > > > > CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing > birders together statewide. Please support COA: > https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ > CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For > list rules and subscription information visit: > https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ >
PP
Piping Plover
Thu, Jun 17, 2021 12:51 AM

Dear friends,

Here is a link to an article today about DEEP plans to propose new regs on
horseshoe crab harvest.

I do look forward to learning more but disappointed to understand that it
will not propose a complete ban.

https://www.middletownpress.com/shoreline/article/Connecticut-to-propose-new-limits-on-harvesting-16250121.php

Sincerely,

Andrea

Dear friends, Here is a link to an article today about DEEP plans to propose new regs on horseshoe crab harvest. I do look forward to learning more but disappointed to understand that it will not propose a complete ban. https://www.middletownpress.com/shoreline/article/Connecticut-to-propose-new-limits-on-harvesting-16250121.php Sincerely, Andrea