[CT Birds] Confirming Bobolinks

Chris Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Jun 18 20:32:19 EDT 2020

We went to Norfolk today to do some birding in one of our atlas blocks.  We are fortunate to have a beautiful meadow there that is home to a good number of Bobolinks.  We weren’t anticipating that it would be easy to confirm the species as a breeder, even thought it is obvious that they are nesting there.  Turns out, there is a way to confirm breeding for this species: we observed several females fly up out of the grass with a pearly white round object in their bills (a fecal sac). They flew for about 100 yards, dropped the item, then landed in the grass.  After a short while, they would fly back to the part of the field from whence they came.  Breeding confirmed!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,
Woodbridge

Sent from Mail for Windows 10