[CT Birds] Hermit Thrushes and Atlassing

Angela Dimmitt angeladimmitt at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 10:50:39 EDT 2020

A hermit thrush has been present every summer in one of my blocks in New Milford for at least ten years - in a hemlock, pine and deciduous forest on a very steep hillside which I climbed once years ago and nearly killed myself.  At the top was a pair of hermits singing together, complimenting each other, I assumed a pair, probably nesting. From the road I have ever heard only one, and this June 20, one singing and seen right by the road.  So no proof of breeding for this atlas, but strongly probable.  The old Atlas shows "possible" for this block (61A), and "confirmed" in 46E where I have heard one in the past, again up a steep climb.  Shall now try that hillside again too...if you don't hear from me, send searchers above the Housatonic, off River Road, New Milford.
There are a couple of other suitable places around here where I have heard them singing in June, but again that's it.
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford