ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Bad evening in Wilton

RK
Rick Kenneally
Tue, May 17, 2022 11:22 PM

A very large black bear just tore down all our feeders and is methodically cracking them open to empty them. It is very unimpressed by my marine air horn.

This is our third bear incursion on the feeders over the past couple years. I think our bird feeding days may be over.

Rick
Wilton

A very large black bear just tore down all our feeders and is methodically cracking them open to empty them. It is very unimpressed by my marine air horn. This is our third bear incursion on the feeders over the past couple years. I think our bird feeding days may be over. Rick Wilton
AD
Angela Dimmitt
Wed, May 18, 2022 12:32 AM

Rick - don't despair, you can thwart the bears and enjoy the birds!  I have a high wire from the top of the house to a tree, which works on a pulley and ratchet, easy to raise and lower and as long as I raise it high enough, the bears cannot reach the three or four feeders having from it.  I'll send you a photo.  Wood thrush singing in the dark as I write (8:32pm)
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford