View all threads

Re: Question about juncos

Liz
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 10:00 PM

I have had one rose breasted grosbeak in my yard for the past three days.

I too have noticed a larger number of both juncos and white throated sparrows still hanging around my feeders.  It seems late to me for them to still be here.

Liz Skinski
Southbury

-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy or Bob Maleski maleski@msn.com
Sent: Apr 15, 2024 5:44 PM
To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: [CT Birds] Question about juncos

Juncos and WT sparrows are still around. I thought they were usually gone by now. Any input. Also, anyone seen rose breasted grosbeaks yet? Thank you

Bob Maleski
Ellington

Get Outlook for iOS

I have had one rose breasted grosbeak in my yard for the past three days. I too have noticed a larger number of both juncos and white throated sparrows still hanging around my feeders. It seems late to me for them to still be here. Liz Skinski Southbury -----Original Message----- From: Cathy or Bob Maleski <maleski@msn.com> Sent: Apr 15, 2024 5:44 PM To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Question about juncos Juncos and WT sparrows are still around. I thought they were usually gone by now. Any input. Also, anyone seen rose breasted grosbeaks yet? Thank you Bob Maleski Ellington Get Outlook for iOS To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: ctbirds-request@lists.ctbirding.org CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
CS
C. S. Wood
Tue, Apr 16, 2024 11:14 AM

I can’t say if lingering juncos and white-throats have become more
prevalent in recent years, maybe Paul Desjardins has some records, but
note that both species nest in (at least northern) Connecticut and more
commonly throughout New England. Both are short-distance migrants so
they don’t have far to go to get to breeding grounds. And of course,
migrants are moving through.

Chris

Chris Wood
President - Connecticut Ornithological Association
Woodbury, CT
[1]203 558-0654

 On Apr 15, 2024, at 6:00 PM, Liz via CTBirds
 <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

[...]

References

  1. tel:203 558-0654
I can’t say if lingering juncos and white-throats have become more prevalent in recent years, maybe Paul Desjardins has some records, but note that both species nest in (at least northern) Connecticut and more commonly throughout New England. Both are short-distance migrants so they don’t have far to go to get to breeding grounds. And of course, migrants are moving through. Chris Chris Wood President - Connecticut Ornithological Association Woodbury, CT [1]203 558-0654 On Apr 15, 2024, at 6:00 PM, Liz via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> wrote: I have had one rose breasted grosbeak in my yard for the past three days. I too have noticed a larger number of both juncos and white throated sparrows still hanging around my feeders. It seems late to me for them to still be here. Liz Skinski Southbury -----Original Message----- From: Cathy or Bob Maleski <maleski@msn.com> Sent: Apr 15, 2024 5:44 PM To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Question about juncos Juncos and WT sparrows are still around. I thought they were usually gone by now. Any input. Also, anyone seen rose breasted grosbeaks yet? Thank you Bob Maleski Ellington Get Outlook for iOS To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: ctbirds-request@lists.ctbirding.org CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: ctbirds-request@lists.ctbirding.org CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ References 1. tel:203 558-0654
JS
Jack Swatt
Tue, Apr 16, 2024 5:12 PM

When I lived at the top of South Mt in Wolcott we would frequently get
larger flocks of migrating juncos and white-throated sparrows until
Mid-May. I specifically remember a flock of 25 White-throats on May 15th
being a high late season count.  I always suspected the higher altitude
played a role in that.

Jack Swatt

Lempster, NH

Colchester, CT

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 7:15 AM C. S. Wood via CTBirds <