ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Black skimmer

GJ
Gregg Jacobson
Thu, Jun 6, 2024 11:35 AM

Is the black skimmer common in CT? Saw one in Westbrook recently. Have pictures that gave me identification

Gregg Jacobson
Waterford

Is the black skimmer common in CT? Saw one in Westbrook recently. Have pictures that gave me identification Gregg Jacobson Waterford
imbercj@comcast.net
Sat, Jun 8, 2024 12:03 AM

Hi Gregg -

Black Skimmer is not common in Connecticut - most would call it a 'good' bird, meaning that most birders would be happy to see one.  That said, they are not technically 'rare' here either - they are somewhat regular, meaning that we have them around every year, but usually there are not many!

I'm pasting a link to the eBird species map for the Skimmer - the link is horribly long but it should work:

https://ebird.org/map/blkski?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&excludeExX=false&excludeExAll=false&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2024

If it doesn't work, you can use the eBird species map to check on this and any other species:  https://ebird.org/map

eBird has some great tools to explore birds!

I hope this information helps.

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison

Is the black skimmer common in CT? Saw one in Westbrook recently. Have pictures that gave me identification

Gregg Jacobson
Waterford

Hi Gregg - Black Skimmer is not common in Connecticut - most would call it a 'good' bird, meaning that most birders would be happy to see one. That said, they are not technically 'rare' here either - they are somewhat regular, meaning that we have them around every year, but usually there are not many! I'm pasting a link to the eBird species map for the Skimmer - the link is horribly long but it should work: https://ebird.org/map/blkski?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&excludeExX=false&excludeExAll=false&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2024 If it doesn't work, you can use the eBird species map to check on this and any other species: https://ebird.org/map eBird has some great tools to explore birds! I hope this information helps. Chuck Imbergamo CT Birds Moderator Madison ________________________________ From: Gregg Jacobson via CTBirds <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2024 7:35 AM To: ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Black skimmer Is the black skimmer common in CT? Saw one in Westbrook recently. Have pictures that gave me identification Gregg Jacobson Waterford To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: ctbirds-request@lists.ctbirding.org CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/