ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org

For discussing birds and birding in Connecticut

View all threads

Hybrid Duck, Snow Geese, PF GOOSE

FM
Frank Mantlik
Fri, Jan 21, 2022 3:38 PM

Captains Cove hybrid Duck.  On Jan 19 I made a brief late-day visit to Captain's Cove in Bridgeport. There was a large mixed flock of Scaup in the east side channel viewed from H Dock. I didn't happen to notice the female Tufted Duck, but I did find a MALE HYBRID RING-NECKED DUCK X LESSER SCAUP. I have never seen this taxa before. Photos are on my Flickr site:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/?

As an update, the flock of 18 SNOW GEESE were still present at Short Beach Park, Stratford yesterday 1/20.
Lastly, a homeowner in Milford near the Wheeler WMA salt marsh (near DEEP Court St boat launch) photographed a PINK-FOOTED GOOSE in his yard at marsh edge yesterday, 1/20. It would be great if someone sees it from the CAS Coastal Center, to add it to that all-time species list.
Good birding,
Frank MantlikStratford

Captains Cove hybrid Duck.  On Jan 19 I made a brief late-day visit to Captain's Cove in Bridgeport. There was a large mixed flock of Scaup in the east side channel viewed from H Dock. I didn't happen to notice the female Tufted Duck, but I did find a MALE HYBRID RING-NECKED DUCK X LESSER SCAUP. I have never seen this taxa before. Photos are on my Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/? As an update, the flock of 18 SNOW GEESE were still present at Short Beach Park, Stratford yesterday 1/20. Lastly, a homeowner in Milford near the Wheeler WMA salt marsh (near DEEP Court St boat launch) photographed a PINK-FOOTED GOOSE in his yard at marsh edge yesterday, 1/20. It would be great if someone sees it from the CAS Coastal Center, to add it to that all-time species list. Good birding, Frank MantlikStratford
BR
Bill Rankin
Fri, Jan 21, 2022 3:44 PM

I just saw the continuing Pink-Footed Goose at the Milford Marsh. It was in the grass here when I pulled up:

41.1858122, -73.1012333

It then moved to the water (UPS truck!) and I got a digibin photo before it swam out of sight into the marsh.

Great views of the bright pink legs and feet while on the grass, but the smaller size, dark brown head, and pink/black bill were still obvious on the water.

Bill Rankin
New Haven

Captains Cove hybrid Duck.  On Jan 19 I made a brief late-day visit to Captain's Cove in Bridgeport. There was a large mixed flock of Scaup in the east side channel viewed from H Dock. I didn't happen to notice the female Tufted Duck, but I did find a MALE HYBRID RING-NECKED DUCK X LESSER SCAUP. I have never seen this taxa before. Photos are on my Flickr site:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/?

As an update, the flock of 18 SNOW GEESE were still present at Short Beach Park, Stratford yesterday 1/20.
Lastly, a homeowner in Milford near the Wheeler WMA salt marsh (near DEEP Court St boat launch) photographed a PINK-FOOTED GOOSE in his yard at marsh edge yesterday, 1/20. It would be great if someone sees it from the CAS Coastal Center, to add it to that all-time species list.
Good birding,
Frank MantlikStratford

I just saw the continuing Pink-Footed Goose at the Milford Marsh. It was in the grass here when I pulled up: 41.1858122, -73.1012333 It then moved to the water (UPS truck!) and I got a digibin photo before it swam out of sight into the marsh. Great views of the bright pink legs and feet while on the grass, but the smaller size, dark brown head, and pink/black bill were still obvious on the water. Bill Rankin New Haven ________________________________ From: Frank Mantlik <mantlik@sbcglobal.net> Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 10:38:20 AM To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Hybrid Duck, Snow Geese, PF GOOSE Captains Cove hybrid Duck. On Jan 19 I made a brief late-day visit to Captain's Cove in Bridgeport. There was a large mixed flock of Scaup in the east side channel viewed from H Dock. I didn't happen to notice the female Tufted Duck, but I did find a MALE HYBRID RING-NECKED DUCK X LESSER SCAUP. I have never seen this taxa before. Photos are on my Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/? As an update, the flock of 18 SNOW GEESE were still present at Short Beach Park, Stratford yesterday 1/20. Lastly, a homeowner in Milford near the Wheeler WMA salt marsh (near DEEP Court St boat launch) photographed a PINK-FOOTED GOOSE in his yard at marsh edge yesterday, 1/20. It would be great if someone sees it from the CAS Coastal Center, to add it to that all-time species list. Good birding, Frank MantlikStratford CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/
BR
Bill Rankin
Fri, Jan 21, 2022 4:20 PM

Goose is back on the grass, same coordinates as before.

Bill

Goose is back on the grass, same coordinates as before. Bill ________________________________ From: Bill Rankin <rankinbill@hotmail.com> Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 10:44:10 AM To: Frank Mantlik <mantlik@sbcglobal.net>; Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Pink-Footed Goose YES I just saw the continuing Pink-Footed Goose at the Milford Marsh. It was in the grass here when I pulled up: 41.1858122, -73.1012333 It then moved to the water (UPS truck!) and I got a digibin photo before it swam out of sight into the marsh. Great views of the bright pink legs and feet while on the grass, but the smaller size, dark brown head, and pink/black bill were still obvious on the water. Bill Rankin New Haven ________________________________ From: Frank Mantlik <mantlik@sbcglobal.net> Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 10:38:20 AM To: Birds CT <ctbirds@lists.ctbirding.org> Subject: [CT Birds] Hybrid Duck, Snow Geese, PF GOOSE Captains Cove hybrid Duck. On Jan 19 I made a brief late-day visit to Captain's Cove in Bridgeport. There was a large mixed flock of Scaup in the east side channel viewed from H Dock. I didn't happen to notice the female Tufted Duck, but I did find a MALE HYBRID RING-NECKED DUCK X LESSER SCAUP. I have never seen this taxa before. Photos are on my Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/? As an update, the flock of 18 SNOW GEESE were still present at Short Beach Park, Stratford yesterday 1/20. Lastly, a homeowner in Milford near the Wheeler WMA salt marsh (near DEEP Court St boat launch) photographed a PINK-FOOTED GOOSE in his yard at marsh edge yesterday, 1/20. It would be great if someone sees it from the CAS Coastal Center, to add it to that all-time species list. Good birding, Frank MantlikStratford CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/ CTBirds, a service of Connecticut Ornithological Association - Bringing birders together statewide. Please support COA: https://www.ctbirding.org/join-us/ CTBirds is for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For list rules and subscription information visit: https://www.ctbirding.org/birds-birding/ct-birds-email-list/